5 ways for publishers to get retargeting right
As a relatively new technology, Site Retargeting–the practice of serving targeted display ads to people who have previously visited your site—is often misunderstood and misused.
At first, the misconceptions are usually positive. Unlike content or social media marketing, where initial results can be underwhelming, the early results from Site Retargeting often look quite incredible and far outpace other display techniques on the media plan. This makes sense: you have all these users who have visited your site and indicated intent to buy things, and you’re finally serving them display ads that compel them to return.
But beware. If you don’t have a complete understanding of Site Retargeting, the early results can paint a false picture of what’s happening and mislead you into making errors that waste time and money. Remembering these 5 things will help you get retargeting right:
1) You’ve got to know which ads to credit for conversion results
2) Using Multiple Site Retargeting Vendors Wastes Money
3) Stalking your customers is suicidal
4) Only retarget visitors to relevant sections of your site
5) The biggest name doesn’t mean the biggest reach